Saturday, May 22, 2010

Revisiting Old Work

Faithfull Hound

12" x 24" oil on linen

This painting has been around the block a few times.  In its journey, a few marks and scratches have shown up.  North Light Gallery had it last year and asked if I would fix the marks.  Not having seen this piece for some time, I viewed it with fresh eyes and made a discovery. . . it was too dark overall.  So not only did I fix the marks, I lightened the background and made small alterations here and there.  The painting is now a show-stopper (in my opinion).  Note to self:  put a painting away for a few weeks to a couple of months without looking at it.  Then bring it out, look at it fresh, BEFORE, sending it out into the world.  Writers do this with their manuscripts; the same is true for paintings.

1 comment:

  1. Great thought about putting a piece aside for awhile. I do like the background color on this one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...