Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Painter's Tip

I have had specific questions from Twitter fans over the last few months prompting the idea that I would post a painting tip on my blog in addition to my regular blog posts.  It's easy to think that most people know this or that but not necessarily so I will give it a try.

Painting tip:  One of the first lessons I ever learned that has served me well over the many years is the colors black and umbers are substitute blues.  Black mixed with white will look blue especially against orange and warm colors.  Burnt and raw umber mixed with yellow will give you some great greens.  Why is this good to know.  Blue is a strong color and can overpower your painting.  Use a substitute blue in place of a pure blue for sky and water and other blues.

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...