Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What's On the Easel

I'm a perpetual learner.  Can't help it and don't want to.  I love reading about how the Old Masters created their paintings, as well as, more modern techniques. But my heart lives in those paintings that have the deep transparent glazes that have been built up from thin layers of paint.  Yes, it takes patience and drying time between layers and yes it's not what most people want to learn when I teach.  But it speaks to me at a level that is so deep that words can't express.  What is it that the 19th Century Tonalists were able to create that I don't get with current painting techniques?  Glazing produces such rich lights and atmosphere that evokes mood that I can't get any other way. 

On my easel is a small still life, 8x10 on a linen panel.  I'm going back to my roots with a grasaille created with raw umber and Gamblin's Fastmate Titanium white.  This alkyd will dry within 24 hours.  Below is the actual still life and the grasaille.  Lights are painted a value darker than the actual value and darks are painted one value lighter because glazing darkens colors.  My whites will be scumbled in producing lighter lights.


2 comments:

  1. I am certain this will be a stellar demo.
    Pulling up a chair, popping some popcorn.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Jim. Put the popcorn back and don't sit down. But save it for later. I will be demonstrating another one soon. I appreciate your enthusiasm and really hate disappointing you. Look at it this way, it saved on a few calories.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...